Skip to main content

Radiator and Intercooler - Fitting


I had a few spare hours today to complete the radiator mounts. When I stripped the Starlet front cut I kept the rubber mounts that the factory radiator sat in, and my custom radiator was designed with a couple of pins attached to the lower tank to use these mounts. They are simple rubber isolation mounts.

I cut a thin steel plate with some holes for these mounts and then taped the plate in place, then taped the radiator in place so I could mock up the pieces that would join the lower plate to the subframe front brace bar (intially from cardboard, then steel)



The final product :


For the upper radiator mount, I may choose to use one of the radiator side nuts to bolt it to slam panel brace piece. However, I won't complete this piece until I get the subframe and engine into the good shell as there may be very slight differences in the position of the slam panel between my good shell and the test shell.


As for the intercooler, I will again wait until everything is in the good shell to make the mounts. On another note, I did have to get the intercoooler modified because when I designed it I didn't have the exhaust manifold bolted on. The intercooler outlets had to be modified :
The inlet changed to a 90 degree angle so that there was room for a pipe to reach the turbo inlet
The outlet changed to a 45 degree angle to clear the exhaust manifold and heat shield

I am waiting on some silicon hose adapters to arrive before completing all the intake piping.


Comments